in a recent conversation I was struck with thinking about how vast God is. God's being is more infinite than I can comprehend.
although I think that my comprehension is in fact limited, (due to the fact that as a human, my wee little mind can't handle all that i wonder about) these are the attributes which I think are worth pointing out.
God is compassionate, slow to anger, abiding in steadfast love.
These were some qualities which John of Damascus in the 7th century used to describe God.
in relation to Time: without beginning, uncreated, unbegotten…
God's relation to Space: infinite, uncircumscribed, boundless, infinite power
God's relation to Matter: simple, uncompounded, incorporeal, without flux
God's relation to Quality: passionless, unchangeable, unalterable, unseen
one of the qualities which I don't agree with is unchangeable.
I think that God's quality is unchangeable in that in the midst of all that is happening in the world, God's being is capable of holding it all, all the prayers, all the pleadings which come from God's own creatures..... everything. God's being is able to remain constant in midst of all the change which we as humans experience in a lifetime. When this argument is taken too far is when God is described as impassible, meaning that God experiences no pain or sorrow. This stands in opposition to the narratives which are described in the life of Jesus, who serves as the human representation of God. Continously, Jesus requests God's spirit to come upon those who are in need of healing who he meets along his journeys. In all of the stories of healing which occur, God is in fact able to stand in the midst of the suffering, yet God is impacted by it.
something which I have also been thinking about is the difference between referring to God as He or possibly a She.
: I think that I limiting God’s gender to solely male, it is also setting up a patriarchial belief system that is human created. This system which is created also establishes divisions within humanity as well, in forwarding assumptions about God needing to be a male in order to form and serve in a position of leadership.
I think that much of the theology of which I have been exposed to has posited that in fact male leadership is necessary, and I think that males often times do have qualities which are needed in many forms of leadership. Often times their ability to maintain calm and not become as emotionally vested as females is in fact truthful and plays itself out in many forms. I think though that in only calling God male, there is limitations which follow with this, in the sense that in assuming that he rules, all of the characteristics of women are in fact abandoned. And the part of the deal which makes God so unique and majestic is the fact that God is not limited to certain types of qualities, God is all encompassing, God is maternal in nature, loving, compassionate, slow to anger and abiding in love, and also able to conquer all as well. This conquering spirit of God’s nature is in fact the part which allows God to see humanity, and interact with humans in the authority which God displays. Alongside this position of authority comes a balance of other characteristics, including loving compassion which God pours out upon humans as well. This compassionate side is one which does include the characteristics similar to that of loving Father, who is going to demonstrate discipline, yet this discipline is coming from a source and well of deep love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment